Monday, September 14, 2015

Amish Cinnamon Bread Alternative: Pinterest Recipe Review

Scrolling through my "Carbs=Happy Food" Pinterest board, I noticed I pinned one specific recipe three times.

"Wow, I really wanted to make this" I thought.

"This" is an Amish Cinnamon Bread Alternative. I don't know about you, but when I was growing up, those gallon-sized bags of Amish Friendship Bread starter appeared on my mom's kitchen countertop almost weekly. 

The problem is that they require constant attention. You have to add a little bit to the bag each morning, then shake it up or something (it's been a while), then when you finally bake the bread you have more starters to bestow upon your unsuspecting friends. At our house, most of the starter got thrown away after the good ol' college try.

But I have awesome memories of that bread. Sweet, dense, and perfectly spiced, it was an amazing breakfast. 

Since I have zero desire to see all those starter bags again (it gives me a little anxiety just thinking about it, not going to lie), I'm giving this a good shot. 

The Original Recipe:

The Process:
Okay, to be honest, there was barely any "process" for this bread. I threw it all together in about five minutes. Maybe six minutes, but there wasn't any hoopla or talent that had to take place to get this in the oven. Small caveat: because I'm reviewing the loaf pan as well (link to come), I only did one loaf and halved the recipe. 

The only thing that required a modicum of skill was layering in the cinnamon/sugar mix. And if you can halve your recipe, you're golden. So I shook some of the cinnamon/sugar mix into the bottom of the loaf pan, then poured in half the batter, and added 5/6 of the rest of the cinnamon/sugar mix. I swirled it around, as instructed, finished off the batter, and dumped the rest of the mix on. Seriously easy.
See the swirls under the batter?

Update 40 minutes later: my first fail! Haha. Well, this is going in the review of my new loaf pan. Apparently there is way too much batter in this recipe for a silicone loaf pan. Just beware! I scraped the edges and dumped the excess, so hopefully it won't look so much like a fail when it comes out. This is the problem with resolving to be honest in this blog! =)
Big big fail. I blame the loaf pan.

The Result:
Mmmmmm. I'm not the biggest fan of cinnamon, but this stuff is good. I have company right now, and am fully prepared for the loaf to be gone in the next five minutes. Totally worth it. I highly recommend it - just make sure to use a normal-sized loaf pan!



No comments:

Post a Comment