Saturday, September 5, 2015

Billionaire Bars: Pinterest Recipe Review

I have to confess: I have been wondering all night why these are called "billionaire" bars. Not only have I been wondering, I've been thinking up different reasons in my head.

"Maybe it's because you have to be a billionaire to afford all this butter!" Snicker snicker snicker.

Then later on:

"Maybe it's because only a billionaire has time to let these layers cool before adding the other one!" Chortle chortle chortle. 

I've been smiling at my (supposed) cleverness all night, guys. I need help.

Then, as I was washing the pan a few minutes ago, I grabbed a finger full of the middle "billionaire" mixture. 

"Dang, that's rich." I thought.

That "ding" sound you heard was the lightbulb coming on in my head.

So, yep, these are billionaire bars because they're really stinkin' rich. D'oh.

These were both easier and harder than I thought they'd be. Easier because truly, they come together really quickly. The dough is a snap and it's really not that hard to stir together the ingredients for the filling. The main reason it was at all harder is because of the time to wait between layers.
Shortbread in the making
I will be super super honest here and say that I did not wait until each layer was cool before I added the next. Part of that is impatience, and part of that is the fact that it was after midnight and I just wanted to go to bed. 

Aaaaanyways. The recipe is really straightforward, but if you're like me, you may do a double (or triple) take when you realize there's a full 1.5 cups of butter in this recipe. You could also call them "Double Bypass" bars I guess, but that wouldn't be nearly as catchy as "Billionaire."
BUTTER
The "Billionaire" middle

The middle won't get super hard, but slightly firm
The original recipe (found here) said to drop spoonfuls of the chocolate and swirl, but instead I covered the whole thing in milk chocolate first, then marbled in a little white chocolate. My first marbling! Awww. The end result was so pretty, I barely wanted to cut it!
Marbling - my first attempt!
The Result:
Sweet goodness, these are awesome. I took them to a tailgate (go Air Force Falcons!) and they were snapped up in seconds. I had women crowding around me to get the recipe. I ended up freezing them instead of just putting them in the refrigerator, and dipped a sharp knife in near-boiling water to cut through the hardened chocolate on top. All in the name of good pictures!
Size is only for pictures - cut in 1x1 chunks
These were slightly more time-intensive than I thought, but they're certainly worth it. Plus, they're best in 1-inch by 1-inch chunks. Anything more is a little much. Enjoy!
Billionaire Bars



No comments:

Post a Comment